Agriculture

The agriculture industry consumes more water than all other industries combined, accounting for more than 50% of total water consumption in Australia. While irrigation supplied by large water sources such as rivers and dams represents 90% of this consumption, the remaining 10% of agricultural water usage can be serviced by smaller alternative water sources.

Piggeries, dairy farms, poultry farms, stables and abattoirs all use large volumes of water for washdown. They also have relatively large roof or paved areas suited to roofwater or stormwater harvesting systems that could be used to supply washdown water.

Other potential agricultural uses suitable for alternative water supply include:

Stock water;

Produce cleaning;

Garden watering;

Plant and vehicle wash; and

Fire protection.
 
 
Agriculture_Roofwater-Reuse